Friday, October 9, 2015

Why I Suck at Self-Promotion

This self-promotion thing is a lot harder than it looks.
I’m of the firm belief that I suck at self-promotion. I’ve been self-publishing my books for a few years now, ever since February of 2012.

For a few of my titles, I did blog tours, particularly Spell of Entrapment and Optical Osmosis. I did the Facebook Author Page, the Twitter, and even joined Goodreads. It used to be that I wrote five blog posts a week, and even got around to commenting on other people’s blogs. I did everything I was capable of doing with the finite time and technology that I had on hand throughout the years.

Now, seven books in, I’m hardly a blip on the screen. And I’m terrified that every time I do a promotional post, I’m driving people away. I tend to push them away in real life too, but that’s beside the point. I’ll occasionally see things like 300 Pages read in a single day over at the Kindle Select page, or give away of 71 copies of Fire in the Forest during my last freebie promotion. I guess the latter disproves my opening line somewhat, except that said line includes the word belief.

This is where I’m at with that tricky word. It’s quite misleading in that it has to do with a perception, one in which I seem inadequate to my peers. I’ve seen a lot of success coming recently from those who I’ve fought long and hard in the literary trenches with. Major kudos to them, by the way. There’s a reason why they’ve reached and earned the success they’ve gotten. They’ve put themselves out there. I don’t, or at least not as much as I used to. Sure, I’ve published the seven books, and I’m active on Facebook and Twitter a good part of my free time.

But that’s where it ends.

I haven’t done any podcasts or hangouts, I haven’t done book signings or readings other than just the one reading last December. I could make excuses for why those things haven’t happened, but really it all falls back on me making the time and putting in the energy to do what I feel needs to be done. Truth be told, I’d rather be writing. I’m glad a handful of people are enjoying my books, and that’s the whole point of them. That’s my success. I may never see the monetary layers that other authors get to see, but really money isn’t why I’m doing this. It’s because I’m doing what I love, sharing my art and passion with the world at large.  Sometimes I tend to forget that.

You can't spell heart without art.
And if me doing what I love and focusing on that is why I suck at self-promotion, then so be it.

Do you ever have trouble putting yourself out there for the world at large?

8 comments:

  1. Eventually we'll get it right, correct?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just keep at it. I'll push your name out there when I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is no secret that I have no qualms about showing folks who I am, and of course there must be a balance of marketing and becoming engaged with the community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As there must be balance in everything we do, right?

      Delete
  4. I try to just be me in whatever I do. If people don't get me or like that (heck, even my family don't get me most of the time), I don't worry or get upset. I know that I don't put in anywhere enough time or thought into promotion, so I don't get the book sales. But at the moment, all I want to do is write. So, I totally get where you're coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like selling in person. I much prefer online. I have friends who do put themselves out there in person and are no farther along than me. I think we have to be ourselves no matter what. I put a lot of effort into what I do online and lately I wonder why. I siiigh a lot... lately.

    ReplyDelete